Modelling N&W RS-3s in 1956

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Sep 12 21:27:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've always been fond of RS-3s and upon realizing quickly that the N&W
acquired eight of them as their first diesels in 1955 I've decided I'd like
to investigate modelling them in HO-scale.

First off, I've not found any models painted in the as-delivered paint
scheme which I understand is all-over black with Dulux gold lettering yes? I
know they were originally numbered 92-99 then renumbered 300-307 in 1956.

Of those created by Athearn/MDC, Atlas and Bachmann which would be closest
to a Phase-III unit? if I cannot acquire a Phase III unit I'll use
whatever's the best stand-in. Can anyone recommend a good decal set? I
understand the steam engine decals might be a good choice but wanted to get
a second opinion.

Thank you in advance
Alvie Hearren