SWITCH MACHINES

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 16 16:12:33 EDT 2011

Don: Your description of the Scale Shops drive sounds very familiar to me
as this method was used in early CNC machine tools to rotate tool turrets to
expose a different cutting tool. To prevent the 'overdriving' from going
past the desired stops, you might try mounting the motors in rubber blocks
or isolation mountings ( little rubber o-rings might be the answer). By
softening the mount, the overdrive may be able to be turned into a 'squish'
back into the desired alignment. We also used rubber angular mis-alignment
couplings to provide the necessary absorption of the overdriving forces with
wind-up motion in the coupling- a small, stiff coil spring in the shaft line
might work here.

Yes, these were band-aids and were replaced with turrets that lifted up out
of face gear couplings (see CURVIC or HIRTH), rotated, then clamped back
down on these very accurate couplings to lock into position. Incredibly
strong and essentially 100% reliable rotation ( unless you goofed the
indexing count).

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati