SWITCH MACHINES

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 16 07:20:01 EDT 2011

When I began my layout 25 years ago, I used the twin coil type switch machines; since I wanted them "hidden" this required mounting them under the layout; I used the Rix mounting fixture for this.  I had some of these machines from a previous layout and bought some used ones at a train show.  They required 12 volts DC to throw and they would "snap" the points over with quite a bit of force.

Eventually, I tried some of the Tortoise switch machines and have never looked back.  I replaced all of the twin coil types with the Tortoise machines. I do not use the edge connectors for attaching wires to the machines; I prefer to solder the wires directly to the machines contact pads.  I also use .032 piano wire for the actuating rod, rather than the .025 that is included with the machines.  My roadbed and subroadbed are 1 inch thick; I find the heavier wire solves any problems related to the thickness of my roadbed.  I also drill the clearance hole in the roadbed 3/8" instead of the 1/4" recommended.

To mount the machine I put a piece of double sided foam tape on the top of it; I then slide the actuating rod into the clearance hole and through the center point of the turnout's throw rod.  I make certain the rod is straight up (if I am under the layout I do this with a helper) and not leaning in any direction; once satisfied the rod is straight, I press the machine and the double sided tape to the subroadbed.  I then use a power pack with test leads to make certain the Tortoise throws in both directions with sufficient tension on the points.  I have found that by making certain the actuating rod is "straight up" before pressing the machine in place will almost guarantee a perfect mount every time.  If for some reason the machine doesn't throw the points in both directions to my satisfaction, it is easy to remove the machine and reposition it.

Once I'm satisfied the machine is throwing the points property, I then use screws to permanently mount the machine to the underside of the subroadbed.

Although I have never had a Tortoise fail, the manfacturer provides a 9 year warranty.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD