Brass painting advice wanted

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 12 11:00:13 EDT 2011

In this instance (easy job with no custom color mixing), I wouldn't be afraid to recommend the Floquil model spray paint 3 oz cans.
They are very fine pigment paint, and Brown (toned down with a lot of black weathering) and Caboose Red are standard colors that will serve him well.
Here's a link for the red....   http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWE48

I would recommend a primer first, followed by the red and black.  I would bake each item in the oven at a reasonable temperature (don't melt the solder, or plastic insulation on some wheel sets) to harden the paint. (this always worked well with ScaleCoat enamael for me).

Finally spray with a gloss coat, then decal, then cover with  dull coat.

Mike Rector