3rd Rail K2a has arrived

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 20 10:43:17 EDT 2011

"Jimmy -

That discrepancy in driver diameter is a h—l of a lot more noticeable than the 3 1/2” difference in the track gauge.

At this late date you can’t do anything about the track gauge, but you CAN be accurate with the rest of the measurements, if you really care.

EdKing"

So why didn't they get the track gauge right years ago to begin with? Then we wouldn't need a "Proto 48" sect.
I don't mechanically engineer these things. And you have to realize that you just can't scale everything down precisely and have it work on these small radius curves.
Actually, I do agree with you. Sure, I wish the manufacturers would be more accurate in their models, but, you also have to remember they are in this for the money and that is spelled with a capital M-O-N-E-Y!
When Weaver was about to make their second run of N&W passenger cars, I very nicely asked them to simply change the end of the cars on the N&W versions. So, I got a nasty reply from Weaver and the modelers get a "Double Diaphram" passenger car.
It's like trying to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. So, I don't know what the answer is.

Jimmy