N&W Blue

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 17 19:59:22 EDT 2011

Great information on Pevler bule in the past few days. Just from a modelers standpoint and modeling the transition period from Nickle Plate and Wabash to N&W I rely heavily on books with color pictures. As NKP and Wabash units were being remumbered and some repainted the colors can be black or blue. The C-628 units were I guess by build date the same way. As I build my ready track to represent the period I keep record of why black or blue on a certain unit and it's number. I'm doing 1967 so that the roster numbers by then were changing on a monthly basis. More units were also being introduced into the Bellevue area from down South because of the coal drags to the docks in Sandusky. I can remember seeing my first N&W SD-45's and C630 and C628 engines. What a sight compaired to GP-9's and 7's and RSD -12's. In 1967 Vietnam called me away and by the time I got back the world had changed.

As a kid I played in the Engine scrap line on Parrie Road and put many a mile on the old Berkshires and Hudsons setting still going no where. When the Rail Road cops would come around we would hide in the fireboxes. I can remember when they were hauled away with their drivers dropped. Years later my son and I would take pictures of the first generation diesel scrap lines in the Bellevue yards and saw them hauled away. 45 years at Ford Motor Company and now my turn to create my version of memories from back in the day. Thank you everyone for your help in trying to recreate the past.