Brass painting advice wanted

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 10 00:52:25 EST 2011

The single action airbrush is somewhat easier to use then the dual so it's a good choice. Someone earlier suggested an in the bottle screen which is a great idea, Walthers sells one from Badger
Part # 165-502017
Then you get to decide what airbrush to buy, there are a lot of choices. As a professional painter in the automotive field and a hobbyist I have several of different brands and they all work well. One of the most important tips I could give you is make sure your model is clean. Warm soap water and a toothbrush, then a rinse will work wonders. Flux from soldering brass and paint don't mix well so you need to make sure it's clean. I personally don't remove the clear from a brass car unless it's rough or thick and heavy looking. For the majority of colors I use a light gray color as a primer coat. I use Scalecoat II and don't have any problems with paint film build obscuring the details on HO scale cars. The light gray coat makes most colors cover faster, so you may save in the total number of coats that you end up with.
Good ventilation is a must, as is a respirator and gloves. Nitrile gloves for solvent base paints. And while we're spending your money another tool that comes in very handy is a spray booth. The commercially available ones are pretty pricey, but you can build your own fairly inexpensively. I've built a few for less then $100 with a good quality fan. I could email some photos of mine if you would like to see how it was built.

Good luck
Doug Langlitz