K3

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 28 07:51:53 EST 2011

Maybe I can help?

The K3's were a 1930's era engine and they got little praise/care/PR.
They had 80K lbs tractive effort, but at 35 mph for a top speed, not a time freight.
These engines had a temperature issue with the 3rd driver and journal box.
They even had Texaco working on advanced lubrications to help.
The 3rd driver seems to be splattered with grease.
The lettering was just the small (4" aluminum leaf?)

NORFOLK & WESTERN

at the bottom of the cab with the engine number centered on the cab sides.

The tender number was on the frame about 2/3 back on the right side at least.
The inside of the main connecting rods are painted black.
The Graphite was dark - use Testors "Steel" from the little bottles with some flat black added.
Use a very small brush to put the graphite on so you can simulate the stuff brushes used to paint the real machines.
The Orange sash and color of some of the plumbing is up for debate.

Slide glass windows and typical weathering for slower speed locomotives.
Dark gray soot and "Armor Sand" for the sand dust.
They weren't that rusty or anything as N&W took good care of all the locomotives.
They didn't swap tenders on these too much.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's