N&W ex-NKP/W&LE Cab (Caboose)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 23 17:10:04 EST 2011

I'm wondering about a specific detail on a brass caboose model. NJ Custom Brass in 1976 produced a model of a NKP 700 series caboose (these became N&W 557 700s). (I had one a number of years ago but foolishly sold it during a period of time I was modeling N&W in the steam era only.) When the cabooses became N&W they were divided into 2 classes; C-8s and C-9s. The 2 groups were almost identical both being built at the W&LE shops at Ironville, OH (Toledo). The first group were built by the W&LE and the second group were built by the NKP to the W&LE specifications. The only visible difference relates to an additional vertical line of rivets on the side of the caboose below the cupola. On a C-8 there are 2 vertical lines of rivets at a seam located on the side of the caboose one each below each located to the outer side of cupola window. On a C-9 these same 2 vertical lines of rivets exist just like on a C-8 but there is an additional vertical line of rivets on the side of the caboose located basically at the center point of the cupola between these other 2 lines of rivets. (there are also 2 additional vertical lines of rivets on both the C-8 and C-9 located toward the ends of the side of the caboose.)

So here's the question should you have the model: Does the model have the line of rivets located below the center point of the copula or not?

Ed Painter Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR