N&W F Horns

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 11 12:28:43 EST 2011

I looked through all my Wabash and N&W books and found no data specifically on air horns. And like someone else did, none of my N&W Ry locomotive books (from the Ry) give specific horn information. I do know from having seen all the Canadian GMD F's at one time or another as well as a number of EMD F that came through Bellevue or Brewster that horns varied. This too can be seen looking through various pictures of the F's in books and in my slides. I would think that the units per batch would have come with a standard horn arrangement (2-single chime horns on the cab roof facing opposite directions) at least for the American built EMD units. The Canadian GMD units had several variations of single chime and multi chime horns. I'm sure over the years that some horns got changed out during shopping for various reasons. I would think the only way to assure you were putting the right horns onto a specific locomotive at during a specific time period would be to have a picture of that unit at that time showing the air horn arrangement. Years ago I did major rebuilding and detailing of 3 Athearn F-7A's to ex-WAB, GMD units. I used pictures to verify the air horn arrangements.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA - currently living in Russellville, AR