HO Scale limited runs

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 17 19:25:40 EST 2011

Many of the young modelers don't have the skills, or patience to actually build a car kit. Bowser stopped making Steam engine kits for the same reason. Now we have to endure the lousy engineering and variable quality of the manufacturers. I have ranted elsewhere that the current plastic articulated engines are using concepts that Rivorossi used 60 years ago on their Y6b. The excuse for that was excessive overhang of the boiler as the engine went around the 18" curve. The BLI "A" overhangs more from the cab than a correctly articulated brass "A" does at the boiler. I really have no respect for the modern toy choo-choo's being offered from the various manufacturers who add DCC, irritating sound and smoke units instead of long lasting sturdy mechanics and decent motors. I have several Bowser engines, and my dad has over 25 of them, and even the smaller ones will outpull todays plastic articulated engines. They will continue to offer less quality engines as people will buy them anyway.