Back in the hobby, and modelling an M1 RPO facsimile

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Dec 27 10:25:52 EST 2010

Have not seen the B&O RPO kit, but your proposal sounds reasonable. The PRR
B60's were commonly run in N&W consists. And remember, N&W had their own version
of this car, differing from the PRR car only in the doors. (both available from
Walthers) Also, take a look at the Walthers 70' ACF baggage. It is reasonably
close to an N&W BEg (1300 series). I have been modeling N&W head end cars by
cutting the sides off Athearn heavyweight baggage cars, cutting them up and
rearranging to put doors in proper places, and then reassembling the car
(sometimes shortening the roof and floor to suit. They are still not accurate,
but at least now look like N&W cars. Currently available decals do not have
"RAILWAY EXPRESS" or "STORAGE MAIL" or "UNITED STATES MAIL RAILWAY POST OFFICE,"
but I make them up one letter at a time from the car names in the decal sheet.
Incidently, I have done an M1 RPO by cutting up an Athearn RPO/baggage and using
a section of streamlined roof with the ends reshaped. Your plan sounds easier,
but I am an inveterate scratchbuilder.       Jim Nichols