Robertson Screws? Drywall Screws?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Nov 1 16:12:50 EDT 2010

There are two primary differences between drywall screws and square head
wood screws. The first is that a square head driver is much less likely
to slip and strip the screw head when driving. The second issue is that
drywall screws are not intended for wood to wood application. They are
made of a very strong but brittle material that can snap suddenly under
load. If you've ever done drywall removal, the easiest way to remove the
screws is to hit them sideways with a hammer. They will snap off right
at the face of the stud. Wood screws are much more ductile and are
designed to pull two pieces of wood together. Counterboring and
countersinking are part of the process in hard wood, just as drilling a
clearance hole is used in using metal screws.

Danial Fisher