Bachmann Spectrum J

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 14 08:30:10 EDT 2010

Lois,
Little packets of silica gel are found in all sorts of products because
silica gel is a desiccant -- it adsorbs and holds water vapor. In leather
products and foods like pepperoni, the lack of moisture can limit the growth of
mold and reduce spoilage. In electronics it prevents condensation, which
might damage the electronics. If a bottle of vitamins contained any moisture
vapor and were cooled rapidly, the condensing moisture would ruin the
pills. You will find little silica gel packets in anything that would be
affected by excess moisture or condensation.
Silica gel is nearly harmless, which is why you find it in food products.
Silica, or silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz.
The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold
moisture. Silica gel is essentially porous sand.
Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can
take the _relative humidity_ (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question651.htm)
in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once saturated, you can
drive the moisture off and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees F
(150 C).
Tom B.

In a message dated 7/14/2010 6:48:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,