HELP!

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Apr 26 17:07:30 EDT 2010

Ed, et all,

Area in question is straight double track mainline against the long
room wall with a four track double-ended yard immediately next to it and
parallel. Number 6 switch ladders at each end. The engine servicing area and
turntable access is off the end of the switch ladder, farthest away from
the mainline and nearest to the aisle. After a left exit from the mainline,
there are seven switches in a straight line set heel to toe to the
turntable access. Looking from the aisle, a viewer sees first the engine servicing
area with turntable, then the yard tracks, the mainline tracks and the
wall. All access to the engine service area requires transit of all but one
of those switches.

I would not try to change the elevation of the yard relative to the
mainline because:

A. Switches that are not level is asking for trouble. If all three
tracks going into a switch are not in the same plane then the switch will have
a three dimensional aspect and at least one track will have a twist or a
tilt. You might get away with it on some little used mountain switchback,
but not on your vital engine terminal access. With regard to being level, an
entire yard, switches and all could be on an incline as long as everything
was in the same plane. That would not work in this case because the flat
straight mainline has set the plane as level.

B. There is no straight track to do an elevation change. Typically,
after departing a mainline, the track has a length of straight track in which
to do an elevation change before encountering additional switchwork; a
level mainline switch, a length of grade with elevation easements and then
another level switch. There is no room for that in this design without
compromising the length of the yard (not long enough as it is) or deleting the
first one or two yard tracks next to the mainline (severe loss of yard
capacity). If you did delete the first yard track, a row of trees would hide the
absence of elevation detail.

C. Humps and Bumps on the way to the engine service area. It's a
critical route. You'll want to take extra care aligning and tuning all those
switches. Adding a vertical component to the trackwork to challenge your long
A's and Y's is not something I would do.

Experiment. In spite of everything I've said, lay out the switches and the
yard tracks with some sort of temporary grade and run some equipment (big
and long). See what happens. You might get lucky. I don't think so. But
you might.

I would raise the yard to the mainline level. Plan B, lower the mainline
to the yard level.

Bob Lang
Layouts That Fit
Custom Model Railroads

In a message dated 4/26/2010 12:20:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,