AAR 40' box cars?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 15 12:59:42 EDT 2010

Herald King is back in business: http://www.heraldking.com/index.html

Dick Dunford
Blacksburg
----- Original Message -----
From: NW Modeling List
To: NW Modeling List
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: AAR 40' box cars?

My guess is that it all has to do with when the decal makers started business. Microscale has tended to ignore the lettering schemews which existed prior to their start (with the exception of the giants like Santa Fe). Champ, which has gone through a change of ownership, did very little catching up and is not doing any new decals since Rich died, is probably the best surviving source for 1940's and 1950's. Walthers, of course, has quit the decal business. Ditto for Herald King.

As for models, it is a similar thing. Most of the firms that did models prior to 1953 have long since been out of business. Besides, the transition from wood and card stock to plastic eliminated much of the 1940's era stuff. On the other hand, the last 15 years or so has seen a resurgence of interest in the 1940's and 1950's, particularly with locomotives. We are much better off now than we were 20 years ago. But there are a lot of decals you just can't find. Some of them were never available. And the fact of factory paints of more roadnames probably discourages decal making for the same schemes.

Jim Nichols

<rant>
Why is it that it's almost impossible to find models of anything prior to 1953, and decals for anything prior to 1960? I thought the transition era was the single most popular era in the history of model railroading, so why is so little available?
</rant>
-- Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org