AAR 40' box cars?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 15 07:15:58 EDT 2010

NW Mailing List wrote:
> Unfortunately N&W did not buy boxcars of AAR design - preferred their
own, although similar. The N&W cars had a continuous side sill.

Good information. Has anybody tried converting an AAR car into a B5? I
downloaded a number of photos from the VT archives yesterday, and it looks
like the main change would be to add a slightly fisbelly riveted side sill?
I realize it wouldn't be perfect, but I'm shooting for a reasonable
approximation of the prototype. Are there any other major variations
between the two cars which would reduce the project to a caricature?

> You might try Champ for decals. Believe it or not, they are still in
business and have an on-line catalog

Done, and duly ordered! I ordered some Southern decals too - those little
buggers are hard to find.

<rant>
Why is it that it's almost impossible to find models of anything prior to
1953, and decals for anything prior to 1960? I thought the transition era
was the single most popular era in the history of model railroading, so why
is so little available?
</rant>
Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC