Challengers and coal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 25 09:05:03 EST 2010

I would probably slightly disagree with Jim's last point on the N&W getting
their coal from specific mines. It is true, but it depends on the time
line.

When the N&W entered the Pocahontas coal region it was buying coal from
everybody under the producer contracts. As the N&W and the coalfields grew,
the N&W was requiring an increasing amount of coal from the producers which
led to disagreement between the producers and the railroad since the N&W was
paying less than the open market. The railroad was going to get out of the
coal selling business in 1895, but the WV passed a law (aimed at the C&O)
that forced them out anyway.

The N&W then bought coal along the line by contact from various producers.
The rr put in a big coaling station at Keystone in 1906 that spanned six
tracks, and the Hemphill coaling station in 1903. They also signed contract
with many of the new operations coming on line between Davy and Roderfield
to take up to 30% of their production.

By 1912, N&W was erecting coaling stations at private mines. In 1912, the
N&W announced coaling stations would be built at Borderland, Vulcan,
Keystone, Farm and Morgan. Coal at Keystone, Farm and Morgan would hve been
the same, but coal from Borderland and Vulcan would have beeb different.
Coaling stations were not built at Morgan or Keystone, probably beause the
yard at Eckman was built instead, but a coaling station was added at Mohwak.
The station at Farm used coal from the Pocahontas seam, the one at Mohawk
used coal from the War Eagle seam.

Around 1917, the N&W bought the Vulcan mine and started the Pond Creek coal
co to supply the coal at Williamson. Eventually the N&W owned four mines (I
think).

On another point, Pocahontas coal and most coal along the Pocahontas Div is
in the sub-bituminous classification. Sub-bituminous coal is actually
superior to the bituminous classification.

Alex Schust