Challengers and coal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 25 01:22:31 EST 2010

A couple of interesting replies on drafting. Regarding twin vs single
stack, my intuition told me that the double stacks would create
less draft because of the same volume of steam being exhausted
through the larger surface area that I would assume two nozzles
would have (all else being equal). Why is this assumption
apparently wrong?

( though the reason why the UP coal would need a higher firing rate
(and therefore, draft) now makes sense)

Matt