Challengers and coal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 24 12:41:15 EST 2010

Maybe related and maybe not, but the Clinchfield did change the way the UP Challengers were drafted (i.e., single stack replacing double stack) Jim Nichols

I would guess

> that better coal would make the Challenger steam easier.

> The implication is

> that it would increase the effective output. (as opposed to

> theoretical

> output) Jim

> Nichols

Trying to keep this on the lite side, I believe the Challengers Clinchfield got from D&RGW were of the same design as the last UP Challengers, so they must have run on some decent coal on CRR. ;-)

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org