City of St Louis (NW Modeling List)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 24 01:19:41 EST 2010

Don't know; but I have witnessed the result of using bad coal when the
Southern was running the C&O 2-8-4 on an excursion from Appalachia to
Norton. They simply ran out of steam, stalled, and had to sit still and
build up enough steam to move the train up the grade. I would guess that
better coal would make the Challenger steam easier. The implication is that
it would increase the effective output. (as opposed to theoretical output)
Jim Nichols