Jawn Henry sound system

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jan 2 15:34:20 EST 2010

Ken,

I am a proud owner of an Alco models Jawn Henry. It has been extensively reworked with new motors gears and shafts. Due to the wieght and brawn of this model we used two TSU heavy steam decoders, one for each motor as not to overload the decoder.

As Jawn was had more of a whoosh sound vs a jet airplane sound ( this is a personal observation) we kicked up the lighting dynamo sound CV all the way up and then blended this with the steam pressure relief sound to get as close as we could!! though not perfect we do get the feel across of a working turbine. We use the SP single blat horn even though Jawn had a nice rack of horns. this is the best we can do so far.

As per chance a new operator stopped by for a session and noted Jawn Henry pulling a nice coal train and asked me if I wanted the orignal ink drawing that he did for the ALco models,,,well a lot of money left at the framer they now grace my den walls.

In the future I hope to assist with an article on Jawn as I have more data and photos of Jawn being built at Baldwin.

Yes the wife let me hand ALL of the drawing of Jawn along with many photos of the famous race horse John Henry. The wife's red convertible plates are Jawn H 1 suitible for a pony car.

Mike and Eddie Ritschdorff