MTH HO J

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Oct 21 15:24:47 EDT 2009

I have owned at least one of every non-brass N&W J offered over the last 25 years except for the MTH. My Broadway J is not perfect, but it is my favorite. The blend of pulling power, detail rendering and the sound system best satisfy the operating criteria for my layout, which at this time is still DC powered. The Spectrum J is not a bad model either, but it does not handle the grades on my layout as well as the Broadway. The MTH J looks very nice and it may "do more", but the operating characteristics (high DC voltage and DCS) are deal busters for me. Unless something changes with the operating traits of these MTH engines, I doubt ever buying one in the future. It would have to be something really unbelievable . . .Z1b, Jawn Henry, S1a? I don't know.

Chris Dalton

Bluefield, WV