Northwest Shortlines E2a

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 24 18:02:31 EDT 2009

I finally got the Brown Book out:

3 E-2a versions; 1912, 1920, 1940 . 250 were produced of the 1912 version, 500 of the 1920 version, and 500 of the 1940 version.

The Brown book lists the builders as: 1912 and 1920 version being Orion and the 1940/50 version being Toho. My Dad had notes in the Brown Book crossing through the Orion and writing Toho (by chance I got my hands on his Brown Book out rather than mine). I looked at the 1920 version and one the 1940/50 versions that I currently have and both had Toho on the plate under the drivers. The drives are identical. I no longer have a 1912 version but I trust Dad's notes that it too was from Toho. I've worked on all 3 versions and remember nothing significantly different.

The Brown Books also lists the 1940'/50 version being imported in 1971 and the 1912 and 1920 versions being imported in 1972.

Ed Painter Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, AR