Samson/US warded pancake lock

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 24 07:34:49 EDT 2009

I am attempting to identify the uses and production dates for Samson/US
pancake locks. Some of the limited research I performed suggests that these
locks may have had a use on railroads. The lock is circular, a little over
2" in diameter with a warded key on the bottom of the lock. Smaller than
the typical heart shaped cast or pressed steel locks that were used for
switches, I wondered if this type of lock could be used to lock a box car?
Or secure a mailbag. A picture of the lock may be found at this location
http://www.antique-padlocks.com/panwdi_q-z.htm This lock looks close to the
841 lock on this page.

Thanks for any help you may offer. The lock was found in a "junk" box from
a home in Jefferson NC.

R.D. Williams, CEO

Ashe Memorial Hospital

200 Hospital Ave.