P2K GP30 speed?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jun 8 13:50:13 EDT 2009

Hi Gary;

Your note seems to indicate that you are assuming the motor is perfect.  There are also variations motor to motor such as:

• the variability of the steel in the laminations
• the number of laminations - being off ±1 is not uncommon on low end end motors due to thickness variation of the lamination material.
• variability in the magnet material - high energy NdFeB magnets are typically ±5%; cheaper ferrite magnets can be "tuned" resulting in tighter tolerances, but less efficient motors.
• geometric variability in the magnets.

For low end motors like in our model locomotives, three sigma limits of ±10% within a particular model of motor should be expected.

I worked on spindle motors and voice coil motors in hard disk drives.

Nigel

http://www.linkedin.com/in/nigelmisso