DCC Decoder with a Class J whistle?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Mar 15 17:13:17 EDT 2009

³Mollie² #475 is at Strasburg. Its whistle is similar to the K27 whistle by
Soundtraxx, a single chime with a higher pitch than the standard A or Y
whistle. I have not been able to find any videos or recordings with E¹s,
unstreamlined K¹s or S¹s to compare to this TSU-1000 for example. The
triad whistles on J¹s and streamlined K¹s (and possibly other roads such as
SP) were new in the 1930¹s/1940¹s and would probably not have been on older
engines built in the teens and twenties. To answer the question about the
Shenandoah Division, I heard first hand a streamlined K in Hagerstown with
the triad whistle ­ that was one of the things that hooked me on N&W; so you
can definitely use the J whistle for your K¹s.

Bob Folsom

On 3/15/09 11:59 AM, "NW Modeling List" <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

> All,

> Soundtraxx has just announced a new TSU-1000 made especially for "Southern

> Railroads." This decoder features seven whistles that can be selected; these

> are:

> N&W Class J No. 611

> N&W Class A No. 1218

> Crosby 3-Chime

> Lunkenheimer 3-Chime

> Southern Railway Single Chime

> Southern Railway 3-Chime

> Tweetsie Whistle (ETW&NC No. 12)

> Part No. 826121, $119.00 suggested retail.

> I have not heard any of these, and do not know if this decoder is yet

> available.

> On another note, since N&W did not operate the A and J class locos on the

> Shenandoah Valley line, what whistle would be appropriate for the K-2

> streamlined locos? Is it the same as used in the Class J? I've got several

> old Key brass locos to work on, and I might was well put sound in them too!

> Thanks for any and all suggestions.

> Jim Brewer

> Glenwood MD

>>> factory?