BENCHWORK HEIGHT

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 9 12:49:49 EDT 2009

Ed,

My benchwork height ranges from 40" at Shenandoah Yard to 48" at my staging area.  I have found these levels easy to work with.

One area that I would suggest you pay particular attention to (I did not) is the distance from the top of your benchwork to the bottom of your subroadbed.  Be sure to allow enough vertical clearance for mounting of switch machines, running wiring/cables, etc.  I didn't and I have run into situations where it was almost impossible to install a powered swith machine (I use Tortoise machines).

If I had it to do all over again, I would have allowed a minimum of 12 inches vertical clearance between benchwork and subroadbed.  I have one section of the layout left to design/build, and it will have that clearance for sure.

Your layout height should be governed by how you intend to enjoy your layout.  If you want to run trains, but do little or no switching, then you might want to consider something higher; if you intend to operate, switch local industries, work the yard, etc., you probably want it lower.

Your physicall height should dictate your decision; not what all the "experts" write in the model magazines.  I find "eye level" layouts nice to watch trains run on, but too much of a challenge to enjoy lots of switching.  If you haven't done so already, visit some other layouts.  Good luck with your project.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD