NW-Modeling-List Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Mar 4 20:28:40 EST 2009

Agreed on Mike and the Dave's points - these kits are nicely designed and it's easy to assemble the basic structure. Depending on what level of detail you are after, the remainder of the car (beyond the main structure) can be fairly straight forward to complete or take an immense amount of time - that's partly me though...

One thing they are *not* is inexpensive - which is why I was also interested in learning more about the BLI CF's. The AMB kit can be had in the $37 - $42 range, but then you have to buy a detail kit, trucks, wheelsets and couplers which puts it easily in the $50 range prior to assembly. In my case, I also installed a TCS FL4 decoder to control interior lighting and all the sundry parts that go along with a lighting project, so it's closer to a $65 investment for me.

All that said, I liked my first one well enough to buy two more, which are currently under assembly. These two are going to get an additional circuit comprised of a capacitor, diode and resistor added to the decoder to prevent the lights from flickering (frogs, dirty track and such). We'll see how that goes - if it works well, I'll be doing a retrofit on the first model.

I posted another note last night on this same topic prior to seeing this discussion - apologies for any redundancy.

Matt