Modeling Committee

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 14 08:27:32 EST 2009

Stephen;

I work with several different model manufacturers on a regular basis, always trying to posisiotn N&W modeling opportunities in their mind. While brass manufacturers, such as OMI, whom I do work with as well, is more open to discuss upcoming projects such as GP9's, other manufacturers are not. Because Brian is probably only going to run 20-25 units, he's more willing to have those open conversations where it is allowed for you or I to post a thread here on this forum to hype-up the opportunity. There are other small manufacturers who are willing to perform custom runs for us and they encourage us to sell ahead of the schedule, in order for the project to succeed. Custom runs on existing models from someone such as Bowser fall into this category.

Folks such as Atlas, Athearn, Walthers and BLMA are not as willing to allow me to discuss upcoming modeling projects openly of forums such as this. This is because of the time and financial investment in the design and production of molds, research on car production history and available roadnames and the creation of artwork.

When I push for N&W on appropriate opportunities, it's easier financially on the Society in most cases because of custom run requirements. Most companies have a requirement to purchase somewhere between 1,000 and 5,000 pcs., depending on who and what it is. Also the cash requirements are often excessive where at least 50% is due up front or at the time of art approval. Beyond that the terms are great either for payment. I've also been told that, from some folks, that our (NWHS) production would go into their next run, two years out. I don't see much value in having $5,000-$10,000 of Society money sitting in someone else's bank for a year to two years before you or I get a model and the Society gets a return of their investment.If those guys are willing to run it with no cost to the Society, good for all of us. IF we can tag into run, such as an un-numbered run of F's, even better for us, but it will mean that there are opportunities that cannot be discussed until the time is appropriate.

I hope this helps clarify some concerns.

Regards,
Russ Goodwin

To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.orgSubject: Re: Modeling CommitteeDate: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:14:47 -0500From: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org

Jim and Bill:
I do not understand your comments about the modeling committee "taking another wack".
Please explain to us why we are not to ask what the committee is working on. No harm in that is there?
Also Bill why can not the society members answer or take suggestions on the forum. I thought this is one the purposes
is to communicate with each other. Yes I know they are volunteers, but a couple minutes shouldn't put anyone out. My past post does not contain any negative comments about the committee, and IF anyone has gotten that impression I apologize.

Happy modeling
Stephen Rineair