Modeling Committee

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 13 17:08:12 EST 2009

Thanks Bill for your comments. The modeling committee has been working with a number of manufacturers and importers in the last couple of years to get both brass and plastic N&W and VGN models produced. Not everyone can afford brass and there are some models that lend themselves to plastic more than brass. The VGN G3 and G4 gons are a case in point. Yes, we could have pushed Yoder to produce a HO brass VGN model but who could afford more than a couple.  The committee felt that a plastic model would be more affordable as we know that modelers would want at least a dozen or more.  Injection molding dies would cost about $100,000.00. Who has this kind of money to take a rick that sales would be at least several 100,000 units. We haven't given up on the G3/4 but with only two railroads using simuliar gons sales would be a real push.  Even with a correct model on the market for the three N&W S2 10-6 pullmans the committee has not been able to get a
commitment, or even a reply, from Walthers as to whether they would produce an N&W version. Our opening offer to Walthers was for the N&WHS to purchase three hundred N&W versions of the pullman floor plan 4140 model to get the ball rolling. If anyone out there has a good contact within Walthers to get these models produced please contact me.
        As for Division point here is the list of N&W and VGN models that we have supplied data for in the last several years: VGN PA 4-6-2, VGN steel coaches, RPO Baggage, Club Car, N&W Y2 2-8-8-2, VGN and N&W FM H-16-44s, N&W heavyweight passenger cars. In all cases we were told that these were rush projects and data was need asap. How many of these models have you seen to date.  I could go on with several more importers but I believe you can understand that the process of getting a model built is stressful and uncertain.  Harold Davenport - modeling committee N&WHS