Research

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 6 12:19:27 EST 2009

Hi Jon;

Before you do all of the historical research, I suggest that you do a quick economic analysis.

For a 1/32 scale J or similar size locomotive model, you are looking at approximately $500,000 (½ million) in tooling, if done in China or similar economy, figure 50% more in the USA.  This is for injection molded plastic and/or die-cast parts.  Above an beyond the tooling cost, you have between $100- and $200- in material (includes equipment time).  Not included in the above is the product design time - figure $100/hr and a thousand hours if your are starting from scratch.  And then there is detailed research - photographs, drawings, etc.

Do the math - is the "large group" big enough to support a reasonable quantity of models to pay for the design and tooling?

I am a product design engineer, with experience tooling products in the USA and off shore.

For comparison, an simple HO diesel runs around $100K in tooling, the highly detailed ones like Atlas's F-M TM are at least 50% higher.  Atlas and similar are probably running around 1000 hours research and design time for a highly detailed diesel model, it is that short of time because they re-use many things from previous models.

Nigel F Misso, PE.