Athearn N scale N&W HC-19 PS 2600 Covered Hopper mini-review

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jan 14 14:10:12 EST 2009

As you many know, in the Oct-Dec 2008 issue of The Arrow John Snidow wrote a very extensive and informative review of Athearn's recent HO release of the Pullman Standard 2600 Covered Hoppers (correct for N&W's class HC-19 covered hoppers built for N&W in 1965).

Athearn also announced this model for N scale, and I was cautiously awaiting this model after the disappointing N scale versions of their otherwise excellent PS 2893 covered hoppers (the main problem being that the "N&W" was noticably too small - much smaller than the scale 24" that it should be for the 1950s and 1960s schemes released).

I am very pleased to say that Athearn seems to have replicated the success of the HO version - everything looks great to my eye (I did not measure it against the drawings in The Arrrow). Most importantly Athearn nailed it on the "N&W" - it scales out to 24" high in N scale - perfect!

The N scale version comes with McHenry knuckle couplers and is available in three road numbers.

http://www.athearn.com/ProdInfo/ATH/450/ATH12013-450.jpg

I think the Athearn N scale 2600 covered hopper in N&W is an excellent addition to the N scale N&W offerings!

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD