M class engines and those drivers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 11 08:25:58 EST 2009

Sorry If I'm late to the party, but I've been working on a "Fleet" of
M2's. I AM stuck in the 1930's and have a use for several... I
wanted the counterweights to be correct, and the frame had to be
metal, with a gearbox replacement available from NWSL. I settled on
the MDC 2-8-0 "Old timer" Sure the drivers are a little small, like
50" but with the 36:1 gear reduction and a better can motor they do
exactly what I want. I used brass shapes for a frame expansion, and
an extension forward to rest Bowser, or MDC Cylinders on. Bowser had
the 30 inch spoked leading truck wheels. For my test boiler I glued
some PVC tube together and used putty to do the reduction courses. I
added 'stolen' shapes I copied from other old engine boilers like
steam and sand domes and pop valve stands. I made one boiler, filled
it with lead shot and epoxy glue and put it on the teeny MDC frame. I
used a larger MDC 2-8-0 cab on the M2. A hand-me-down USRA tender is
all you need. I had also looked at the brass built-up frame from
Bowser that will work with 56 inch drivers, but the counterweights are
wrong. Many years ago I begged the English's to do 475 in all 3
ways, (N&W 1930's, N&W 1950's, Strasburg), explaining that the SAME
FRAME could be used for all 3 versions of the N&W M's, and that I had
worked out which ALREADY EXISTING PARTS from their valve gear parts
could be used for the Baker/Pilliod versions as well as Walscharts.
Oh well.....

Mark Lindsey
y3a at earthlink.net
Stuck in the 1930's