56" drivers was Re: model locomotive dimensions index?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 4 23:46:18 EST 2009

NW Modeling List wrote:

> Hi Kenneth;

> The small drivered Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0, advertised as 52" drivers,

> actually has 56" drivers (I measured 55½"). These are the same drivers

> as on the Spectrum 2-6-6-2.

It's funny you should mention that. I was just looking at the same
model in my display case yesterday, and wondering how hard it would be
to turn it into a 4-8-0. Have you attempted to get just the drivers
from Bachmann?

> As far as making an M, my current plan, which has been delayed numerous

> times to job and move, is to add an axle to the 56" drivered Spectrum

> 4-6-0. The three axle positioning looks about right, and the cylinder

> positioning with the four wheel lead truck sort of works out too.

I have no plans or drawings on an M, but I spent this morning attempting
to scale dimensions from a broadside photo of one, based strictly on the
56" driver diameter. I came up with 64" driver spacing, 16' total
driver wheelbase, 24'2" from the rear axle to the center of the lead
truck, 138" from the main driver centerline to the back of the
cylinders, 7' wheelbase on the truck, and 28" diameter truck wheels.
Does that sound about right?

I just measured my Bachmann 4-6-0. The axle spacing is 74", the lead
truck wheelbase is 76", and the distance from the main driver to the
back of the cylinders is 146". Again, does that compare favorably with
your measurements? Can any parts, other than the drivers themselves, be
used to model an M?
Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!