N&W station

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Nov 15 08:31:11 EST 2008

The Roanoke Rails model, produced for them by American Model Builders,
represents the N&W Standard Station No. 2. These were board and batten
construction and a combination station design.

It has a smaller footprint than the Standard Combination Station which is
shown in the N&W Standards Book offered by NWHS.

I believe copies of the plans for both these designs have been offerings
from the archives through the NWHS Commissary.

The Roanoke Rails kits builds into a nice structure. It was a very early
effort in the genre of laser kit offerings; but the basic construction
methods are the same as "current" laser kit offerings.

The square chimney casting included with the kit is just a stock casting
offered by AMB. The chimney on the actual N&W depots of this design was
much more rectangular. You can use what is provided or build your own
chimney.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD