Atlas U30B

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Sep 9 01:00:03 EDT 2008

At 08:10 PM 9/7/2008 -0400, you wrote:

>So how many U30Bs did N&W have and how many different paint schemes?

>I could use at least 1 in every scheme except the NW scheme.

1930-1964 early body style delivered in blue hamburger, many
repainted to 13d NW. The body is nearly an exact match for the P2K model.

8465-8514 late body style delivered in black hamburger. A few were repainted.

8515-8539 late body style delivered in 13d NW. There are some very
small differences on the last two orders and the body changed (drip
rail over radiator disappeared) between 8505 and 8506.

In reviewing the Atlas artwork, also discovered that placement of the
NW logo on the hood end changed. 8515-8524 have the logo more or
less centered vertically on the hood end; 8525-8539 it is noticeably
higher. I have a pic of 8534 which is in the low position, but it
looks dinged and may have been damaged and repainted.

Total 110 units - definitely the largest buyer of U30Bs. 75 of
them either match the new Atlas model or can be easily modified to
match. 25 of them just about a dead on match.

Let me play brain trivia with myself. What did the N&W have more of
than U30Bs? SD45s (115). GP9s (lots). SD40-2s. RS11s maybe,
combining the N&W and NKP totals. I think that's it. If you model
N&W in the 70s, you need U30Bs :-) Just like modeling NS in the
80s-90s you need C39-8s.

Andy