New HO Scale Passenger Cars

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 22 17:48:42 EDT 2008

Con-Cor (www.all-railroads.com) has announced three new passenger car models that will be of interest to some N&W modelers. Con-Cor will produce the PRR P54 coach, BM62 Baggage/Mail and PB54c Combine.

In 1934 N&W acquired some of these designs from PRR. I believe that all of them were off the revenue roster by 1947-48; perhaps some made it into MofW service.

The N&W acquired coaches were Class Pk, #475-482, with built dates 1910-11; the acquired baggage/mail were Class BMj, #330-334, with built dates 1914-16; and the acquired combines were Class BPg, #350-369, with built dates 1910-12.

I have no idea where these cars were used; a guess would be in the coal field areas of Virginia and West Virginia. I have never seen a photo of these cars in N&W livery. Given the time frame the prototypes were owned by N&W, the stenciling should be in gold leaf, with the roadname spelled out NORFOLK & WESTERN. If any made it into MofW service, I have never seen a photo of such.

I have absolutely no connection with this project nor Con-Cor; I just happened to learn about these cars recently and thought I'd pass on this information. Perhaps Jim Nichols or others can provide additional details/photos.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD