Berwind Hoppers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat May 3 18:54:20 EDT 2008

Steve,
As far as was able to determine when gathering material for my Pocahontas
book, they never were. Kimball had very little regard for Berwinfd and new
majority stock holder Pennsylvania hated him. N&W went to great lengths to
keep private mine cars off the road. They went so far as to obtain financing
with Pennsylvania Railroad for construction of new N&W hoppers, both to
service the U.S. Steel business and Berwinds.
Alex Schust may have uncovered something, but I cannot find anything
significant. Mason Cooper.