Rock fences and signal questions

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 12 00:10:40 EST 2008

Howdy,

Thanks for all the modeling tips on the rock fences. One gentleman said that he used hardware cloth for the actual fence part. At the risk of appearing ignorant, could you please explain what kind of hardware cloth you used? Is it the same material that some folks use for screendoors? I know they make a nylon version of the old brass screen door cloth. Is that what you were referring to? And thanks for the input on the actual construction of the posts, etc. Now I can model these with some assurance that they will be correct.

Thanks!

Ken McWilliams

BTW, Mr. Ben Blevins, I used to be a Signal Maintainer on the GA. Southwestern RR and I noticed that you are a signal nut. :) Having worked with quite a few different types of signals and an avid collector of all things RR, I too am a signal nut. I have several different types of signaling components in my collection now, including the old glass batteries ,made by Corning that were used many years ago.

I wrote to the NW mailing list asking about signals on the N&W but haven't received any replys. Perhaps you might have the answers? I know what "searchlight" signals are since we had several on the GSWRR, but I was wanting to know why they were used on bridge approaches. Also there was an elongated signal about 18 inches long ( if memory serves me at all ) that had two lights on it, one at each end. At least that is how they look in my photos. Do you know what they were used for? There was one of the two light elongated targets over top of a searchlight signal, on a bridge approach on the old Virginian side of New River. Were some bridges considered seperate blocks? And I am also in the dark as to when the N&W stopped using the large round multible light targets. If you can answer any of these questions I would be most grateful! BTW, I have some extra oil bottles that they used to cover the acid in these old glass batteries. If you would like one feel free to contact me and
I'll
see to it that you get one. They have Thomas Edison in raised script letters on them.

Thanks again,

K.M.