Tommy Duncan

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jan 23 18:22:03 EST 2008

Tommy and his wife, Jellybean as she is affectionately called, are truly two of the finest human beings I have ever known. I spoke to them both recently as former NS steam member Greg Dodd passed away and it didn't seem it had been 5 or 6 years since I last talked to them. They are some of those people that when you are around them, you don't realize how fortunate you are to know them. You mention stories... man, he can tell them. I remember going up and over Christiansburg with him walking from side to side in the 1407 as he pointed out old roadbeds and such along the line.

One time, I 'rested' my eyelids on the jumpseat of the J. He saw me and let me live it down.

For those of you that don't know, he is truly a N&W man. The 17th ( I think) in his family to work for the railroad and was even born in a station where his father was the agent. I really wish somehow, someway we could get some of his stories on paper.

Will Sadler

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Seeing Tommy Duncan's name come up on this list brings back a story that happened in Birmingham, Alabama.

Several representatives of the Roanoke Chapter, NRHS went to Birmingham for the Norfolk Southern Steam Auction in 1995 I believe, and Tommy tagged along as he was partial to the NS Steam Program. We heard lots of railroading stories from Tommy along the long drive down and back. We had a brand new rental van with about a hundred miles and an out of round wheel which shimmied all the way.

Anyway, our goal was to purchase the N&W Baggage Car No. 1407 which had been used as one of the tool cars in the steam program. We watched the carnage as the contents and steam locomotive supplies of the Irondale shops were auctioned off.

When the 1407 came up for auction, the sweat seemed to run down by back as I bid anxiously. Fortunately we won the car and it is now still operational and saved.

After we left the auction hunger begin to set in as railfans love to eat so we set out for a restaurant. Tommy fell asleep and when he woke up we were in the parking lot of a Hooters Restaurant. Waking in a daze, Tommy thought it was a strip club and was offended. We assured him it wasn't a strip club and finally convinced him to go in.

I highly respect Tommy for both his railroad work...and his morals...

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org