Articulation of model locomotives

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 22 17:03:55 EST 2008

Since we now are on this subject, one that is close to my love of them, I have many locomotives that are articulated from many manufacturers( BLI, Athearn, Mantua, Riv, Life Like,Brass, and Intermountain).
Of the plastic/metal ones Mantua and Intermountain are correct in the articulation. The cab forward from Intermountain has less over hang than the BLI and will work down to 22 inch curves, the Mantua one will work on 16 inch curves. The problem I see is that these articulated locomotives had restrictions in the prototype and we do not place them on our models. These larger locomotives do not look very good on small curves and the front couplers cause problems when trying to push cars.

As for the Riv Y, I converted one to articulate properly (article in the Arrow). Once converted it would still work on an 18 curve without a big overhang. Doing the articulation correctly is not a problem it is just easier to continue to produce locomotives as they have been done in the past. As for the size of the curve, my old layout had 39 and 41 inch curves and the BLI locomotives would knock off cars on the second track because of the overhang. None of the other locomotives did this. This is why I will not purchase any other locomotive from BLI that is articulated.

Regards,

Kurt S. Kramke