Signal aspects...

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 22 16:45:12 EST 2008

Robb,
The westbound signals are intermediates and show "Restricting". This is probably so that tonnage trains will not have to stop on the heavy grade.
The eastbound signals being "Stop", "Control Point' or "Home" signals have to do with two low underpasses in the area. The bridges over these underpasses have a collision protective devices installed in case they are hit by vehicles too tall to go under the bridges. If the bridges are hit, it trips the collision device and turns the signal to "Stop". Crew members tell me if this is the case, the dispatcher CANNOT even talk the trains by these signals until the bridges have been checked by signal personel. I'm told there is a timetable rule that governs this situation, but I haven't taken the time to check it out.
Jimmy Lisle