I sure would like to see a 4-8-0

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 21 16:12:14 EST 2008

Folks,

Here we go again,,,, Everyone wants everything and no ONE buys or reserves items announced.

I have along with others have been working with many manufactuers to get N&W and VGN stuff made and put on the market.. Overall we have been blessed with many more models than most other roads!!!

Please note that most stuff is made off shore and many of the decisions are made there also!!

The following items have been cancelled due to the lack of reservations and orders from hobby shops:

The complete Arrow to go behind the J,, not enough reservations!

The wood caboose not enough orders!!!!

The Y6b had to go a fire sale to clear out inventory!!!

Jawn Henry from Global imports not enough orders!!! The VGN EL2b's had to go clearance after I bought my first one, yea I can not pass up a sale!!

I have many more projects in the "hopper" but it will be a hard sell if we do not support and reserve the new stuff that is anounced for reservations..

I know this will stir up a big mess but we have to put our money where our mouths are!!

If you want to state your opinion strongly or just kick ideas around you can e mail direct at nwpoca at hotmail.com.

On a side note MTH expects to release 6 to 8 models this year, most will be a HO scale model of what all ready has been done in O gauge, could be a few suprises here!! They will not let me know what they are working on!!!

Y'all know my layout is open to all members if you get to Chicagoland and then you can give me heck and your ideas in person over a cold drink or a cup of coffee!!

Mike Ritschdorff

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 03:08:17 -0800Subject: Re: I sure would like to see a 4-8-0To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.orgFrom: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
You know, I believe the class M would be a good seller if the price wasn't too steep. In fact, a stripped down, no DCC no Sound version numbered 433 would probably sell like hotcakes in giftshops along the old Creeper Trail. Of course, I'd want the fully equipped one if it were me!

But, I do believe there's demand for an M. I'm not a modeler, so I won't try to make my own, but if someone made it, I'd probably buy it. But brass? Not for me. I can buy a whole gondola load of signal scrap for the price of a brass engine! Ha Ha!

Ben Blevins
NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

MR Mason:

I believe - I know - you have not bought a current brass piece recently or you would know that they are the state of the art in running. Modelers rate Kato locos as the best in plastic! The current brass will blow a kato away.
I'll third your vote, but it ain't going to happen anytime soon, after what our society members bashed BLI over the "A" and the "Y". Would you do another project after people treated your like crap?
I had volunteered for the modeling committee of course was overlooked, but here's what I would do.
The PK2 0-8-0 is and ideal loco for Walthers to make and save on tooling cost. As a committee I would piggyback with the C&O Society and jointly approach Walters with the C&O, N&W, and the VGN 0-8-0's. This gives Walthers the insight of two large Societies with large memberships and the data support of three popular roadnames and most of the tooling cost already done. This is the marketing approach that Walthers could not hardly refuse. Just my thoughts!

Stephen Rineair