Signal aspects

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jan 19 08:07:17 EST 2008

Oops! I forgot the drawing! Here it is!
Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Ron,
On the Abingdon Branch and Saltville Branch it was designated by the two red over the left to right descending diagonal.

I have attached a drawing of the various Restricting aspects used by the N&W and NS on former N&W territory.

On the position light signals,
A, the one with the marker told the crew to proceed prepared to stop short of train or other obstruction.

B, the one without a marker designated proceed "without stopping" prepared to stop short of a train, etc.

C is out of the 1961 Radford Divison Timetable as a "Stop and proceed at low (restricted) speed."

D is what you'd get at an interlocking.

E is a typical CPL automatic signal, as you would have found between control points.

F is the modern equivalent of E.

G is what you'll get now at a distant signal on approach to an interlocking.

H is the modern equivalent to D.

I is a searchlight signal, as found on the VGN side of N&W.

The number plate below the lowest arm on a signal DOES change the meaning of an aspect. For instance, if G did not have a number plate, it would be a Stop signal instead of a restricting.

From what I've seen, when a crew passes a restricting signal into non-signaled territory there will be a sign saying "End CTC", etc. to let the crew know they won't be governed by signal indication from there on.

Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Jimmy, Harry & Ben,

Thanks for explaining Restricting for me.

Does the Restricting aspect shown on Ben's diagram always apply to
diverging routes?

How would Restricting on a non-diverging route (such as at the end of
signalled territory) be indicated?

Ron Davis

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.________________________________________