Position Light Signal aspects

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 18 21:35:02 EST 2008

Dick,
You're very welcome. But, if you're doing 1950 then you need the 1945 rules. I have a copy of those as well. They are a little different. At that time, they were using horizontal indications on the top and bottom, and even center head if so equipped. A signal at Stop could be burning as many as ten lights. I've included a diagram of the basic aspects of the day, but there are a great many more. Most of the others are for interlockings, etc. that most folks don't model because of the sheer size of these interlocking plants. Like say, Roanoke for instance. An HO scale model of Roanoke could fill a warehouse.

Anyway, I hope this helps you along. As I said, this diagram would be accurate up until the early 1950's. The names are for reference only.

Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Ben (et all),
Thanks very much for your information on N&W rules and aspects around 1950 - the year I'm modeling N&W! These are invaluable to me as my N&W rule books are in the 1960s.

Dick Merrill, Stafford, VA