N&WHS Modeling Committee

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Dec 11 06:01:55 EST 2007

Jim,
I'd be happy to help you with learning what they looked like. I could write a book on the subject (and probably will some day). I've attached a diagram that was scaled from the N&W 1945 rulebook about signal aspects. I have crudely showed what the basic signals looked like. For a more exact representation, it depends on the interlocking.

Basically, they were the same as the color position signals. The signals still standing today were modified quite a bit, but they started out as an all yellow light position signal when the N&W put them up.

But, don't get confused by the Pennsylvania signals. Pennsy used speed signaling, and N&W didn't. The aspects look the same, but the N&W's rules were all their own. It just depends on how accurate you want them to be. If you need more information, just let me know.

I don't claim to know a whole lot, but signals are my primary interest.

Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
I am interested in Norfolk and Western signals. I am getting ready to install signals on my layout and I don't have a clue what the Norfolk and Western signals looked like in the early 1950s.

Jim Bryant

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.
NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org