Historical & Technical Questions

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Sep 9 15:29:49 EDT 2007

Mark,
In regard to question# 3:
The signals would be upper quadrant semaphores on the Bristol Line up until 1947, with lower quadrant semaphores (also called order boards) at some stations. If you're modeling the Clinch Valley line, I don't know what kind of signals they had. I've got documents for the Bristol Line getting automatic Semaphores starting in 1917.

Here's a photo courtesy of the Virginia Tech Photo Archives of the installation at Crockett. This is the eastward signal, with the westward home signal off in the distance.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS4080.JPG

It is an upper quadrant automatic semaphore.

Now, look at Crockett Station. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns188.jpeg

These are order boards used at the stations. This signal is giving the indication "Stop for orders or block occupied" beause of the two arms sticking straight out.

Now, look at Dublin. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns269.jpeg

Here we have both in the same photo. If the station signal boards were down as in this photo, that gave the indication "Proceed". If the arm was sticking out, that gave the indication "Stop for orders".

Hope this helps, and makes sense.
Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Southern had yellow stations with dark green trim. Sometime just around WWII they went to gray with white trim.

Dave