N&W passenger car project being considered

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 12 09:07:55 EST 2007

The 1946 version used the PM coaches and a heavyweight diner which is not
the most inspiring appearance. The cars used in the 1949 version are
perhaps more unique and make a beautiful train to put behind a J. A 1950¹s
look might have more broad appeal to N&W modelers since it could be used
with GP9 diesels, but by then the observation car was history, and the Arrow
either ran with head-end equipment, or finally got truncated down to a
combine and a few coaches, which does not make up into a nice train set.
Originally, I was a late 1950¹s N&W modeler. I am enough of a purist that
the Walthers 64 seat coach painted up for N&W just won¹t do. So I would
have jumped on the chance to get some reasonably priced models following the
real N&W prototypes. However, I decided to go all steam and backed up to
1949 so I could have a streamlined Pocahantas as well as a nice-looking
Arrow before they started adulterating it with head-end stuff. I just
acquired a brass 5 car Arrow and intend to add two more kit-bashed P-3
coaches to it to make the seven-car train. I also kit-bashed a Pocahantas
from older stuff and now that I have heard every possible $.02 worth
regarding what color it should be, I am going to mix up what I hope will
look pretty good and get the painting over with. Sorry, I just had to get
that in. Even though there have been at least 3 brass trainsets produced as
well as that Bachmann version (which was not even close to the prototype),
the 1949 version is still probably the best bet for a nice looking train set
that would be acceptable to a purist, and very attractive to anyone looking
for a nice looking passenger train set from any railroad.

Incidentally, the brass models I got are exquisite in detail and have a
beautiful paint job, but actually operating them is another story. These
are the first brass models of rolling stock other than locomotives that I
have ever had and I have to say that overall, brass from the operating
standpoint is a two-edged sword. Some if it runs superbly, but other things
are a nightmare. I have a large layout with a minimum radius of 32², so
you wouldn¹t think that there would be any problems operating anything.
However, there are curves on 1.5% grades. I have a PSC brass class A
2-6-6-4 that required all kinds of modification before it would operate
reliably. The brass 5-car Powhatan Arrow set that I bought included a brass
J (Key Imports), that could not pull the heavy brass train up a 1.5% grade.
Even installing couplers that placed the cars far enough apart for the rigid
brass diaphragms to clear, the cars would run in on a downgrade and the
diaphragms and trainlines would get fouled on curves and derail the cars. I
have eventually solved all these problems be removing the original trucks
and replacing them with the really great free-rolling trucks off Con-Cor
passenger cars. I also installed additional diaphragm components made of
foam that act as buffers to keep the cars from running into each other on
down grades. The new diaphragm components are hardly noticeable and look
good because you can¹t see any daylight between the cars. All of this is to
say that for the up-coming generations of N&W modelers, a new more practical
but still accurate version of the 1949 Arrow could be a good seller. Oh,
and it would be cool to have the aluminum windowframes included, as well as
optional individual P-3 coaches to expand the train to the seven cars.

Bob Folsom