CODE 83 RAIL

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 30 11:24:57 EST 2007

I have only Code 100 on the main because I have a lot
of old (rally old) AHM locos with deep flanges, so
can't comment there. I have some Code 83 on display
tracks and it looks way better than the 100 stuff!

On the other hand, my branchline track is solely
Shinohara Code 70 and I've never had any trouble with
operations because of the smaller rail (certain main
line locos prohibited!). However, it's very important
that the foundation (subgrade) be very well
constructed: no humps, bumps, dips or abrupt vertical
curves. These will cause more trouble than the rail
height. Found this out the hard way during the
original construction when I had to do the entire
branch subgrade over. If you have the space, also
consider easements on curves. Helps if you run long
cars and looks better.

Dave Stephenson